With Christmas behind us, the next big question is, “What am I doing for New Year’s Eve?”
Our friends at City Salsa Vibe have an answer for you. It’s The Empire Affair: New Year’s Eve 2012. Salsa and swing bands, samba and belly dancers, a fire dance show, James Bond girls, and six DJs, including DJ Michael Laycock of ELECTROPICAL.
Four themed party rooms, five live shows, and two dance lessons help make this a don’t-miss event at the Empire Landmark, an elegant downtown hotel.
UPDATE: Today (Dec. 26) is the last day for advance tickets at the discounted rate of $70 + HST. Prices go up tomorrow, and previous editions of The Empire Affair have sold out, so act soon.
Here’s a quick rundown of the entertainment:
- Party to the live sounds of salsa, cumbia, cha cha, reggaeton and bachata with Mazacote.
- Do the swing thing with the Hot Foot Five, a five-piece swing and jazz band.
- Electropical DJ Michael Laycock takes you on a tour of Brazilian beats, Caribbean grooves, African rhythms, Arabian waves, and Balkan bangers.
- Electroswing DJ Rudy and DJ Spry bring you a fresh live mix of sultry vintage sounds and a good dose of downright dirty dance-floor beats.
- DJ Chinito keeps you dancing all night to top 40, soulful house, hip hop, reggaeton, and hits from the 70s and 80s.
Other performances include a samba show, belly dancers, a salsa dance show, James Bond dance girls, a fire show, and stilt walkers.
Early bird tickets are sold out. Advance tickets (available here) cost $70 + HST per person until December 26; further discounts available for multiple-ticket purchases. If any tickets remain at the door, it’s $85 + HST per person.